[Fwd: Java]

Eduardo Kortright eduardo at cs.uno.edu
Fri Mar 31 15:12:20 EST 2000

"Daniel J. Blezek, Ph.D." wrote:

[...]
>   The mis-feature in removing threads when compiling with Java was
> actually a necessity.  In previous (<1.2.2) versions of Java, JDK used is
> own "green-threads" which weren't compatable with pthreads.  So pthreads
> lost out when using Java.  The configur.in file was changed in Aug 97, and
> the situation has changed, at least in the latest JDK that I got from Sun.
> If we can decide that pthreads and Java play well for everyone who is
> using them, we could add the changes back in.  FYI, works fine under Linux
> with JDK 1.2.2 & pthreads, but we need a suite of tests for the Java
> bindings.
>
> Thanks,
> -dan

I'm confused.  The Java I (just a few minutes ago) got from Sun for
Linux (J2SE)
specifically says that only green threads are supported.  Does that mean
that green threads are now compatible with the pthreads used by VTK?

Among other things, this port of Java for Linux should not be run on SMP
kernels
(which mine is), and does not include a JIT compiler.  Are you aware of
another port
of the JDK for Linux, or is this the same one you are using?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.  If this is not of interest to the
list,
please reply directly to me.

--
Eduardo Kortright			Department of Computer Science
eduardo at cs.uno.edu			University of New Orleans