Speed

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Fri Mar 24 12:46:31 EST 2000

Hi Henkjan,

Right now the only card I'm familiar with that provides sufficient
rendering quality for medical imaging and that can be used under
Linux is the Matrox G400, with the free utah-glx drivers
(http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net/).

There are also commercial drivers for several cards available from
Xi Graphics (http://www.xig.com/Pages/3D-LGD-List.html).  I haven't
tried any of these, does anyone have any experience with them?

Support for accelerated 3D rendering under Linux is far behind
Windows right now, but several companies (SGI & nVidia, ATI, Matrox)
have promised to provide high-quality free drivers by around mid-summer.
3Dfx already has good linux drivers, but the 3Dfx cards don't provide
suitable visual quality for medical visualization.

It looks like the VolumePro is also going to be available under
Linux by mid-summer... but remember that the VolumePro is an
add-on card that only does volume rendering.  You will still need
a primary 3D graphics card for everything else.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group