Help: Static build of vtk on win32

Andrew Schuler aschuler at nwu.edu
Mon Mar 6 19:13:34 EST 2000

Hi Martin,
I had exactly the same problem lately. The way I solved it: I edited the
file 'getclasses.cxx' from VTK's Pcmaker.
The point is: the MAKEFILEs for VTK are generated by this Pcmaker tool that
comes with the win32 VTK distribution, i.e. if you want VTK to be created as
a static library, then you HAVE to edit the Pcmaker's source files (which
can be quite painful....). If you have Microsoft's VC++ then the task gets a
little bit simpler since Pcmaker comes with a .dsw (pojectworkspace for
MSVC++) file.
Besides that issue, I've changed several other things, if you are
interested, I can send you the code (but beware: it may still contain some
bugs...).
I think, that they should get rid of Pcmaker (I know, that its purpose is
not only to generate makefiles....) and instead try to use TMAKE, a very
neat tool used for makefile generation by QT. It would take some effort to
do that, but I think it would definitely be worth it. I don't know if the
source code of TMAKE is available, but if it is then someone with experience
in perl (and enough time...) could do it (TMAKE uses templates that are perl
scripts basically).
If anybody is interested in doing it (I just don't have enough time and I'm
not very experienced in perl...), I'd gladly help where I can.

Andrew

P.S.: If there's a simpler way to get static VTK libraries, I'd be glad to
hear about it.