newsgroup

Pan, Tony C (CRD) tpan at crd.ge.com
Fri Mar 3 13:42:35 EST 2000

The following is my pet peeve.

The mail sorting would work wonderfully if people would use just *one* distribution list name instead
of 50, like "vtk", "vtk user mailing list", "vtk list", "vtk mail list", "vtk user list".  I have as
many inbox rules for my outlook as there are different ways people address this list, and I still
miss some of them.

It would also be nice if people would just use "to" instead of "cc" and "bcc" when emailing an entire
group. Since the mail is going to everyone anyway, why put it in cc?  I don't particularly like to
have two rules for each possible combination of words that addresses the same mail group.

So my suggestions: 1. use a single mail list name. "vtkusers at public.kitware.com" seems pretty good.
2. use "To" field when mailing the entire group.

or alternatively, have a newsgroup.

This is not meant as a flame for the entire group, so don't take it as one.  I welcome constructive
comments.

Tony C. Pan