[vtkusers] Cutting one polygon dataset with another?

Etienne Labuschagne etiennel at megasub.co.za
Mon Jun 26 11:28:20 EDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Etienne Labuschagne
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000 5:28 PM
To: 'Joey Mukherjee'
Subject: RE: [vtkusers] Cutting one polygon dataset with another?

If I can get my problem solved, I will gladly share the data (I'll have to
make sure on the legality of using it in a commercial application though).
I have also being barking up the implicit function tree, but couldn't figure
out so far how to create an implicit function from a polydata set - any
help?

>What will be the procedure to cut one vtkPolyData dataset with another (or
>even cut a structured grid with a vtkPolyData dataset)?
>
>What I want to achieve is the following:  I have a vtkPolyData dataset with
>the continents of earth.  I create a structured grid dataset that
represents
>the lat-long lines of the earth.
>
>I want to cut (boolean AND) the two datasets so that the parts in the
>lat-long grid that will be sea are deleted.  What is left over is the
>continents, but now easily wrappable onto a sphere with the same resolution
>as the lat-long grid.
>
>This may be elementary, but I'm still new!
>
>ANY help would be appreciated!

Possibly vtkImplicitFunction is what you are looking for.  I've been wanting

this for a while since we do some image mapping on the earth.  Are you going
be able to share this information? :-)

Joey

+     Joey Mukherjee                     "Everyone needs a hobby.          +
+      joey at swri.org                      World domination is as good      +
+  http://www.space.swri.edu/~joey        as any other.                    +