[vtkusers] Triangle filter eating up all my memory!

Etienne Labuschagne etiennel at megasub.co.za
Mon Jun 26 08:43:58 EDT 2000

Hi there

I want to use a vtkTriangleFilter to create a vtkPolyData structure that
contains triangles.  Whenever I run it on my dataset (a polygonal map of the
world), it eats up all my memory (800Mb of it!) and eventually crashes.  The
same effect can be seen when using the vtkEarthSource and putting that
through a triangle filter.

When extracting only one of the polygons, it triangulates fine, so it seems
as if the filter tries to triangulate all the polys in one go.  Is the only
solution to triangulate the polys one by one (by putting each one into a
vtkPolyData object, triangulating, and putting it back into the source data
set) or is there a better way to do this.

Thanks
Etienne