[vtkusers] Volume Rendering Problem

Asad A. Abu-Tarif tarifa at rpi.edu
Fri Jun 16 12:09:53 EDT 2000

Hi,
I have a very simple volume rendering problem but I have no idea how to solve it.
I have three solid spheres inside each other and represented in a vtkStructuredPoints data set.
I need to visualize them before I create the surfaces. I tried Ray Casting (which worked fine
for a brain volume) but I got interlacing black and white planes for this simple data set. I
posted a question on the list and Lisa suggested that I turn the shading off. However, that
didn't solve the problem. I took the time and read the volume rendering part of the VTK book
again and couldn't find a solution. Can anyone help in visulizing this simple data set?

The reason I need to visualize the raw data is because I want to show the mechanics of my 3D
registration algorithm that uses both Mutual Information and Geometrical features. So, I need
to show the steps that the algorithm goes through for a simple image as a proof of concept. The
first step is to show the raw data that I have. Then the surfaces created. So, just showing the
surfaces might not be enough (specially for this simple data set). It gives a bad impression
about me for my committee members.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Asad