[vtkusers] GUI for VTK (was [DEMO] amira)

Vieri Di Paola dipaola at cli.di.unipi.it
Fri Jun 16 06:27:02 EDT 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Sebastien BARRE wrote:

> At 17:54 14/06/00 +0200, Vieri Di Paola a écrit:
>
> >Has anybody ever considered FLTK (www.fltk.org). It's fast, light and
> >portable. It has OpenGL support and a VTK widget, too.
>
> It's too "light", it's lacking widgets. The project will *be* large,
> therefore I do not think it's worth taking care of a few hundreds Ko saved
> by a "light" package compared to a full featured GUI toolkit.
> Furthermore, there does not seem to be Python or Tcl bindings.

If you go to FLTK's bazaar page you will find wrappers for both Python and
Perl. Tcl is missing however. I believe that keeping the core library as
"light" as possible is important. If one needs extra widgets one must
download them separately. The FLTK bazaar page is a good example.
Unfortunately many interesting widets in wxWindows are missing (or
are incomplete) in FLTK. The HTML browser widget with image support comes
to mind.

If wxWindows had a good GUI designer (free and complete like FLTK's
'fluid') then maybe I'd switch to it when some application
programming needs arise.

Regards,

Vieri Di Paola