[vtkusers] Bug in vtkRenderWindow

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 15 13:34:33 EDT 2000

You should expect this behavior from any system that uses 3D hardware acceleration.  When you
do glReadPixels() (for instance), it actually grabs the contents of the framebuffer
directly... that includes anything that is obscuring the section of the framebuffer being read
(ie. your renderwindow).  I used to see this sort of thing with AVS too.  I don't think
there's much you can do about it except to hide an offscreen renderer operation somewhere when
exec WritePPMImageFile.  This is a problem that motivates a lot of the work on the offscreen
render windows.

-john