[vtkusers] GUI for VTK (was [DEMO] amira)

Jan Stifter j.stifter at medres.ch
Thu Jun 15 05:44:23 EDT 2000

>Is there any GUI front end for VTK out there?

Qt has been mentioned here for some times. here are my 2 cents to
vtk/qt:

* Qt is professional. Although you can download Qt for linux/unix for
free, if you want to build your own application for making business or
you want using qt on win32, you have to buy Qt. This is IMO an
advantage, since a company (http://www.trolltech.com/) is behind Qt
and gives you a really nice and professional support.

* Qt has a lot of useful widgets and is very stable (Whole KDE desktop
has been written with Qt).

* Qt is very easy to learn. 1/2 hour for an experienced C++ hacker...

* Qt has a very nice documentation
I have never seen anything like that before: http://doc.trolltech.com/

* Qt ports very well on almost all win/unix systems
In our company, our projects are based on Qt/vtk. we can take the code
from a win32 machine to a linux machine, run a tool which generates a
makefile, run make, and the code compiles there without any problems!

* The Mailing list is very fast and helpful.

* There are several Qt<->Vtk widgets out there.

all these points made it to our decision to use Qt as the GUI for vtk.

It is IMO an advantage of vtk, to not have a GUI. It is up to the user
of vtk to take the GUI which fits in the needs he has. kitware should
concentrate on the points they are strong, which is programming a
visualisation toolkit and not a GUI!

jan stifter