[vtkusers] wxPython GUI for VTK

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Jun 14 10:49:34 EDT 2000

Hi Sebastien,

There is a wxRender widget for VTK that comes with the standard
wxPython package.  Unfortunately, it only works under Windows
for now -- no-one has worked out the details of getting it to
work under UNIX.  It works great under Windows, though.

I haven't used wxWindows enough to make a hard comparison between
it and Tk.  It is certainly faster than Tk and has many more
features (and _far_ better integration with the native GUI).
However, pretty much everyone who has VTK already has tcl/tk
installed already because all the examples are in tcl (grrr.. ).
So getting a python-VTK-Tk app running takes less time investment
than python-VTK-wxWindows.

As for the VTK-Python wrappers, they are as complete as the Tcl
wrappers and have the potential of being even more complete.
The stumbling block for VTK-Python is that the python examples
that come with VTK are far fewer in number than the Tcl examples,
and the ones that are there don't show off the power of Python
because they are merely translated versions of the Tcl examples.
I'm certain that this situation would change dramatically if
the python examples were regression-tested... I would _love_
to be able to submit python regression tests.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group