Compiling problem on SGI (fwd)

Tom G. Smith smitty at kcc.com
Thu Jun 1 08:26:32 EDT 2000

Can't tell you what your specific problem is, but maybe this install
log for vtk 3.1 on an IRIX 6.5 system will help:

iNSTall log for vtk 3.1 on sgihost, from CD:
	The Visualization Toolkit vtk Version 3.1
	Kitware, Inc. http://www.kitware.com
	Copyright 1993-2000
	Ken Martin, Will Schroeder, Bill Lorensen

See also http://www.kitware.com/vtkhtml/vtkdata/HowToGetSoftware.html

First downloaded and compiled Tcl/Tk.  See /contrib/tcl.log and tk.log.
Next, mounted vtk install media in CD/ROM drive, and did this to copy
html documentation to hard disk:

	cd /usr/freeware/apache/share/htdocs
	cp /CDROM/vtk.html .
	(cd /CDROM; tar cf - vtkhtml) | tar xf -
	mkdir vtk
	cp /CDROM/vtk/README.html vtk
	cp /CDROM/vtk/vtkLogo.jpg vtk

This lets you get to the install instructions (among other things), at
this URL: http://sgihost.kcc.com:8080/vtk.html

Now to build vtk from the source:
000405 Restarted, after downloading tarball from -
	http://www.kitware.com/vtkhtml/vtkdata/HowToGetSoftware.html

	mkdir /contrib/vtk
	cd /contrib/vtk
	# Did not do 2d time: (cd /CDROM; tar cf - vtkdata) | tar xf -
	# Did not do 2d time: mv vtkdata vtkdata3.1
	# Did not do 2d time: mkdir vtk3.1
	rm vtk3.1/vtkdata # Did 2d time.
	rm -Rf vtk3.1 # Did 2d time.
	# Download tarball. Did 2d time.
	gunzip -c vtk31Unix.tar.gz | tar xvf -
	chown -R root:sys vtk31
	cd vtk31
	# Did not do 2d time: (cd /CDROM/vtkunix; tar cf - *) | tar xf -
	ln -s /contrib/vtk/vtkdata31 vtkdata
	./configure --with-tcl --with-shared --with-contrib > configure.out
Here is stderr from configure:
configure: warning: no configuration information is in tcl
configure: warning: no configuration information is in java
configure: warning: no configuration information is in python
configure: warning: no configuration information is in python
configure: warning: no configuration information is in tcl
configure: warning: no configuration information is in java
configure: warning: no configuration information is in python
configure: warning: no configuration information is in tcl
configure: warning: no configuration information is in java
configure: warning: no configuration information is in python
configure: warning: no configuration information is in tcl
configure: warning: no configuration information is in java
	backupfile user.make # user.make.d000405.t065906.root
	vi user.make # Made these changes:
	TCL_INCLUDE=-I/contrib/tcl/tcl8.2.3/generic
	TCL_LIB=/usr/local/lib/libtcl8.2.so
	TK_INCLUDE=-I/contrib/tcl/tk8.2.3/generic
	TK_LIB=/usr/local/lib/libtk8.2.so
	# Commented MESA lines.
Note:  For reasons as yet unknown, the ./configure above didn't leave
a Makefile in either the common or graphics subdirectories.  I had to
manually do this, in order to get the make to work (Actually, I did
each ./configure as make puked, but I think this sequence would work
if I started over):
	make clean
	for i in common graphics imaging contrib tcl
	do
		(cd $i; \
		./configure  --with-tcl --with-shared --with-contrib \
		--cache-file=.././config.cache --srcdir=.)
	done
	USER_CXX_FLAGS=-wall make >> make.out
	make install
got these messages from make install:
# make install
        cd graphics;   make - install install install_tcl
Installing libVTKGraphics.so
        /usr/freeware/bin/install -c -m 755 libVTKGraphics.so /usr/local/lib/libVTKGraphics.so
Installing libVTKGraphicsTcl.so
        /usr/freeware/bin/install -c -m 755 libVTKGraphicsTcl.so /usr/local/lib/libVTKGraphicsTcl.so
        cd imaging;    make - install install install_tcl
Installing libVTKImaging.so
        /usr/freeware/bin/install -c -m 755 libVTKImaging.so /usr/local/lib/libVTKImaging.so
Installing libVTKImagingTcl.so
        /usr/freeware/bin/install -c -m 755 libVTKImagingTcl.so /usr/local/lib/libVTKImagingTcl.so
        cd contrib;     make - install install install_tcl
Installing libVTKContrib.so
        /usr/freeware/bin/install -c -m 755 libVTKContrib.so /usr/local/lib/libVTKContrib.so
Installing libVTKContribTcl.so
        /usr/freeware/bin/install -c -m 755 libVTKContribTcl.so /usr/local/lib/libVTKContribTcl.so
        cd common; make - install install install_tcl
Installing libVTKCommon.so

Set up these symlinks:

	ln -s /contrib/vtk/vtk31 /opt/vtk
	mkdir /opt/lib32
	for i in $(cd /usr/local/lib;ls libVTK*); \
	do ln -s /usr/local/lib/$i /opt/lib32/$i; done