How to improve the speed of vtkRendering?

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Jan 6 09:19:35 EST 2000

<x-flowed>The first thing to try is using triangle strips. Most graphics cards render
triangle strips much faster than independent polygons or triangles. Usually
putting in a triangle filter followed by a stripper will do the trick. Also
if your data is not changig, then usually immedatemoderenderingoff should
be faster since it uses display lists. Finally, of course there is a
relationship between rendering speed and the capabilities of your graphics
card. If your graphics card can only render 100K polys/sec then there is
nothing VTK can do to go faster than that without changing your data. The
alternative is to reduce your data using a technic such as vtkDicmatePro.

- Ken