vtk on Solaris 2.6

Dana Iancu diancu at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Jan 4 19:09:41 EST 2000

Hi,

I am trying to install vtk for being used in our school. I would like to use it
on the Solaris platform. In particular, I am trying to install it on a Sparc
Ultra5 running SunOS 5.6. As the pkginfo reports, I already have xgl on my
system:
pkginfo -l SUNWxglrt
   PKGINST:  SUNWxglrt
      NAME:  XGL Runtime Environment
  CATEGORY:  application
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  5.0,REV=97.06.02
   BASEDIR:  /opt
    VENDOR:  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      DESC:  XGL Library and Roman_M Font
    PSTAMP:  apples970602231441
  INSTDATE:  Nov 19 1999 14:26
   HOTLINE:  Please contact your local service provider
    STATUS:  completely installed
     FILES:     13 installed pathnames
                 6 shared pathnames
                 7 directories
                 1 executables
              3184 blocks used (approx)

I have followed the installation steps as described in the README file; I want
to use tcl/tk, so I configured with-tcl. I have tcl8.1 and tk8.1. The vtk was
downloaded on Dec. 7 1999 (vtk version 3.0.0, vtk source $Revision: 1.357 $,
$Date: 1999/12/07 01:06:52).

What happens is that when I am trying to load any tcl example, I get a
Segmentation Fault (core dumped).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Dana Iancu