vtk newbie questions

Joseph Toman toman at marge.cyber-dyne.com
Sat Feb 26 04:06:43 EST 2000

Hi,

1) I'm trying to build vtk 3.1 on a Debian Linux system, using shared
libraries and building the tcl interface. Every time I try to link vtk
in the tcl directory I get :

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/vtk31/tcl'
c++ -o vtk tkAppInit.o  \
-L. -g -O2  -fPIC -DVTK_USE_PTHREADS -D_HP_NO_FAST_MACROS -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DHAVE_UNISTD_H -I. -I./../common -I/usr/include/tk8.0-int/generic -I/usr/include/tcl8.0-int/generic -DVTK_USE_TKWIDGET -I/usr/include/GL -DVTK_USE_MESA   -I/usr/X11R6/include  -I./../graphics -DVTK_USE_GRAPHICS -I./../imaging -DVTK_USE_IMAGING -I./../contrib -DVTK_USE_CONTRIB  -rdynamic   -L/usr/local/vtk31/contrib -lVTKContribTcl -lVTKContrib   -L/usr/local/vtk31/imaging -lVTKImagingTcl -lVTKImaging -L/usr/local/vtk31/graphics -lVTKGraphicsTcl -lVTKGraphics -L../common -lVTKCommonTcl -lVTKCommon -L/usr/X11R6/lib /usr/lib/libMesaGL.a   /usr/lib/libtk8.0.a /usr/lib/libtcl8.0.a -ldl          -lpthread \
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lXt -lSM -lICE -lX11  -lm
/usr/bin/../lib/libdl.a(dlsym.o): In function `doit.2':
dlsym.o(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `_dl_default_scope'
dlsym.o(.text+0x4c): undefined reference to `_dl_default_scope'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

so apparently dl_default_scope is not being found. Near as I can tell it's in
libc , but explicity adding that in to the makefile doesn't help. Ideas?

2) I also need to use vtk with Borland C++ 5.01 and OWL. Has anyone derived
a vtkWin32OWLRenderWindow or the equivalent ? It would save me a lot of work
if I didn't have to reinvent the wheel.

3) Looking at the various VTK links I notice a dearth of C++ example code,
  outside of a couple "everything in main()" programs. I think this might
  be because IMHO the reference counting implementation leaves a lot
  to be desired and breaks a lot of the standard paradigms in C++. Let's face
  it, asking people not to use new and delete is a lot like asking people
  not to use int or char ;). The lack of copy constructors, or rather the
  inconsistency of whether MakeObject is a virtual copy constructor or
  a virtual default constructor doesn't help either. Anyhow, I would like to
  see how other C++ programmers get around these difficulties, so pointers
  to example code would be greatly appreciated.

						thanks in advance,

							J. Toman
"info vtkusers" to the same address.