[vtkusers] Streamlines vs. Lagrangian drifters

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Dec 11 12:02:50 EST 2000

hi,

    Prabhu> What about the requirement for data.  Will you need a
    Prabhu> range of vector data files that you will iterate over?

    Berk> 	This is what we need to figure out. I don't exactly
    Berk> know how time support should be introduced, not only for
    Berk> streamlines, but in general. There would probably be some
    Berk> readers which will be aware of time.

Rather than add support to the various readers, it would be easier to
create a new file for animation.  Somebody else had ideas on how to
improve the datafile support.  But a simple option would be to do the
following:

       (1) Add an 'INCLUDE' keyword to the VTK data file format.  This
       would be really useful.  Quite often one has a fixed grid and
       varying data.  One could put all the grid info in one file
       'INCLUDE' it where reqd.  It would also save a lot of space.

       (2) create a special "animation" VTK file that has a tag
       indicating time with a corresponding include for the data.
       This way one could create a file that has all the time related
       information without the readers being aware of the time.  OTOH
       handling all data in the same file should be fairly straight
       forward.

Does this make sense at all?

prabhu