[vtkusers] VTK data files and formats...

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Aug 22 20:49:57 EDT 2000

Hi Terry-

Here's what I would do. Create in one file the geometry, in your case
structured points. Then in another file create field data (that contains
your dataset attributes). One reader reads the geometry, the other (an
instance of  vtkDataObjectReader) the field data. Then merge them together
to create a dataset with associated field data. The key (surprisingly
enough :) is vtkMergeDataObjectFilter. There is a script
vtk/graphics/examplesTcl/mergeDataObject.tcl that demonstrates how this is
done. Note that you usually also have to use
vtkFieldDataToAttributeDataFilter to create the attributes (e.g., vectors,
scalars, etc.) from the field data that is merged into the geometry.

Will