[vtkusers] extending the graphics subsystem

Wolfram H Volpi whv88240 at Bayou.UH.EDU
Mon Aug 21 23:54:59 EDT 2000

What are my options for extending a vtk binary installation?
All I want to do is modify a few vtk classes.
I can write my application to use a new class name or use the
original class name, it does not matter to me.

This is what I understand so far.
>From reading the vtk3.1 Users Guide, process object is not what I need.
Two other options are:
	1) Use object factories.
	2) Do a source installation, change a class, and recompile.

Is there some other way to modify a class that I am over looking?
Can I add a class to a binary installation without using an object
factory?

The vtk3.1 Users Guide p202 says "If you want to extend the graphics
subsystem, see Chapter 12 'Extending The Graphics System' on page 291."
This must be a misprint because I can not find it in the guide.

Thanks for your help,
Wolfv.