[vtkusers] binary install vtk failed with Tcl/Tk

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Thu Aug 17 12:12:16 EDT 2000

At 09:49 17/08/00 -0700, John R. Quagliano a écrit:

>         I completed a simple binary/executable install of Tcl/Tk 8.2.3
> with vtk
>3.1.2 from a Kitware CD-ROM. I installed the vtk31core and vtk31tcl dlls
>along with the Scriptics.com app on my Windows 95 computer. The Tcl/Tk
>application works fine with its own example scripts. However, when I try to
>run any vtk script, I get error messages like
>
>Error in startup script:
>
>invalid command name "vtkRenderer"
>while executing
>"vtkRenderer ren1"
>file"C:\Program Files\vtk31\examples\VisQuad.tcl line 4)

You do not need to install the official Tcl/Tk distrib from Scriptics, as
it is provided with VTK.

BUT, if you are using a special distrib (like Itcl/Itk), or want to install
the examples and demo provided with the official Tcl/Tk distrib also,
install the Scriptics distrib BEFORE installing VTK.

Or change the file association : Shit-Right-click on the Tcl script, choose
"Open With", then locate the wish82.exe or any Tcl shell in the *VTK* bin
directory (not the Scriptics bin directory).