[vtkusers] LinuxPPC

Tom Bridgman bridgman at wyeth.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 15 12:12:16 EDT 2000

Scott,

I tried this under LinuxPPC 2000 on a 7300/200.  I'm told that others
have been successful.

There are some old components from an attempted port to MacOS.  Just
track down the POWERPC symbol (I think one is misspelled) in a couple of
files and change them to something like _macos_.

After that, I believe the procedure is pretty much as advertised in the
Linux build instructions.

My attempt at building was unsuccessful.  It would build a large
portion, then hang.  I'd was forced to reboot and then the Make would
pick up where it left off but the final product didn't generate a
working executable.   Note that this process took HOURS on my machine.
I suspect the hangs were a result my SCSI chain being close to it's
limiting length.  I've yet to reconfigure my machine to shorten it and
test this hypothesis so I'd be interested in hearing about the
experience of others on this.

Good luck,
Tom