[vtkusers] Xlib: extension "GLX" missing

Richard Goldberg rickg at yorku.ca
Thu Aug 10 09:44:24 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I have been able to install vtk on several sgi's and linux boxes with no
problem. However, there is one linux box that is giving me trouble.

Mesa, tcl/tk are both installed. Vtk was compiled on another linux box
and installed on this one.

When I run "vtk", the vtk window pops up, but I get this error on the
command line
	NV: could not open control device /dev/nvidiactl, errno=2
If I try to run any of the vtk examples or any of our own code (that
works on all the other machines) I get:
	tcsh% vtk cutter.tcl cb3.vtk ~bsimmons/outone.vtk
	NV: could not open control device /dev/nvidiactl, errno=2
	Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "hadrian:10.0".
	Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "hadrian:10.0".
	ERROR: In vtkMesaRenderWindow.cxx, line 152
	vtkMesaRenderWindow (0x80e3390): Could not find a decent visual

	Segmentation fault

Sounded to me like there was a problem with the mesa instalation, but I
reinstalled it and still have no luck.

Any pointers would be appriciated.

Thanks

***************************** **************************************
*Rick Goldberg              * *                                    *
*Graduate Student           * * "I never wanted to be average,     *
*Computer Science Dept      * *   because when you are average you *
*York University            * *   are just as far from the top as  *
*Toronto, Canada            * *   you are from the bottom."        *
*rickg at yorku.ca             * *              -Stan Cottrell-       *
*www.cs.yorku.ca/~rickg     * *                                    *
     "If you don't invest very much, the defeat doesn't hurt,
             But winning isn't very exciting."