[vtkusers] vtkPropPicker not picking

David J. Netherway djn at elan.mad.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Aug 10 04:23:21 EDT 2000

I accidently sent this to Will directly rather than to the list. Sorry
Will. This is the same message now to list.

Using last Friday's nightly vtk, pickTest.tcl works at home on my PII
WinNT4 PC with a Matrox G400 graphics card,
but not on the PIII WinNT4  PC with an NVidia GeForce 256 graphics card
at work.

Unsuccessful means that neither the text, assembly nor actor get
highlighted.

Has anyone been successful with pickTest.tcl on the GeForce card? I am
trying to locate a working picking template so that I can
get my applications that use picking to work again using the latest
versions of vtk. For example, the picking in TkInteractor.tcl also does
not work on the GeForce card, I am not sure about the Matrox card - will
check tonight. The CellPicker being software based should not be
affected by the type of graphics card but maybe by other changes going
on with regard to the PropPicker.

The problem  is:
vtkCellPicker ActorPicker
ActorPicker Pick $x  [expr $WindowY - $y -1] 0.0 $CurrentRenderer
[ActorPicker GetAssembly] never returns anything even when the previous
line returns a 1 and the cellId is >= 0.

Have others found this still functional?

Thanks, David