[vtkusers] vtkTkImageWindowWidget: segmentation fault

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Aug 9 06:30:16 EDT 2000

hi,

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Donna Hanlon wrote:

> I successfully built vtk2.4-1.268 on RedHat Linux 6.1 (Cartman) with
> these flags:
>
> --with-tkwidget --with-python --with-patented --with-contrib --with-mesa
> --with-tcl
>
> My application successfully imports several vtk modules
> (libVTKPatentedPython.so, libVTKContribPython.so, vtkpython.so), but
> when it tries to execute the following line in ImageVTK.pyc, it core
> dumps:
>
>            Tkinter.tk.call('package','require','vtkTkImageWindowWidget')
>
> When I try these executables in vtk/python at the command line, I also
> get a segmentation fault:
>
> vtkTkImageViewerWidget
> vtkTkImageWindowWidget
> vtkTkRenderWidget

	Well, these arent executables.  They are libraries.  From my 3.1.2
install -

$ file /usr/lib/vtkTk*
/usr/lib/vtkTkImageViewerWidget: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel
80386, version 1, stripped
/usr/lib/vtkTkImageWindowWidget: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel
80386, version 1, stripped
/usr/lib/vtkTkRenderWidget:      ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel
80386, version 1, stripped
$

	Tkinter calls Tk underneath.  It is possible that Tkinter doesnt
know where to find the above libraries.  If you are using bash try this

$ export VTK_TK_WIDGET_PATH=dir_where_you_have_installed_vtkTk*Widget
$ python your_vtk_app.py

	On other shells try something similar.  It works for vtk-3.1.2
dont know if it will for vtk-2.4.

prabhu