[vtkusers] VolumeReader for compressed data

M.Schrijver at el.utwente.nl M.Schrijver at el.utwente.nl
Tue Aug 8 10:50:56 EDT 2000

Hello Francis,

probably the best way of reading Dicom files is by using Sebastien
Barre's dicom2 tool
(http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/medical/dicom2/index.html) to convert it
to a set of 'images'. This works perfectly for (X-ray) images, I'm only
not sure if it works for volumes as well. Just give it a try.

Then you'll have to find out the exact type of compression used on the
data, as specified by the 'transfer syntax' in the Dicom file. I
remember using the same tool (dicom2) to get that kind of information as
well, but don't ask me how at the moment.... If it turns out to be
"1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70", indicating it is "JPEG lossless,
non-hierarchical, first-order prediction (process 14, selection value
1)" (!) encoded data, well, in that case I might be able to help you.
Some time ago I wrote a subclass of vtkImageReader (which reads volumes
consisting of multiple slices/images very well) that can do the
reconstruction for you. You only have to make sure it will be useful to
you, and I will have to make sure it still works ..... Please let me
know.

Good luck, Marc