[vtkusers] speed

"RIVIERE Robert, CETE Méditerr./DI" Robert.Riviere at equipement.gouv.fr
Thu Aug 3 03:25:52 EDT 2000

Hi

Thomas Wolfanger said :
> >I have some questions concerning speed of execution of vtk.
> >I have a cfd simulation file with about 220000 points in an
> unstructured grid
> >and the same number of points for each result variable
> >Trying to look at the grid alone takes about half an hour to
> load the data and
> >create the image on an 700 MHz Athlon running Linux. > >

I had the same kind of problem loading an unstructured grid of about the
same size.

Of course as Will Schroeder pointed out ascii reading is slow, and if you
try to make tcl calls for each data you're dead.

But I also found that a lot of time is spent in the UnstructuredGridReader,
after the loading, to compute the mesh skin to display it.
I couldn't find how to swith off this computation, e.g. to display only the
bounding box.

And in my case, it was a bit stupid, because the original mesh file included
the mesh skin, it was removed when translating it to vtk format, and was
recomputed again after reading !

Bye,

Robert