[vtkusers] Re: Siggraph2000 BOF Session

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Aug 2 09:03:21 EDT 2000

Hi Bob-

Thanks for asking.

At 06:31 PM 8/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Could someone inform the group as to the topics discussed at the BOF
>session.
>BR
>    Bob Palank

About 40 odd people were there and the ice cream was a bit soft for my taste.
Will Schroeder and Bill Lorensen started things off with an introduction,
followed by a discussion of recent changes to VTK. Jim Ahrens (Los Alamos)
gave a 20 minute presentation on parallel processing with VTK. We then talked
about new additions, and got some feedback from the audience. I've included a
PDF of the slides.

Personally, I was very pleased by the caliber of the audience and the questions
and discussion. Jim's presentation was impressive considering the number of
processors and size of the problems they are running. Mike Papka of Argonne
Nat'l Lab mentioned something to me about some sort of network interactor/rendering
process that they are using to run vtk remotely and in collaborative fashion, I'm going
to learn more (I'll see if I can't get him to say something on this list). Claudio Silva
(ATT Labs) has an unstructured volume rendering algorithm that we're talking about
integrating. Several users expressed interest in hooks to support raw OpenGL
calls (or other rendering calls, as appropriate).

Will