advice reqd. on packaging vtk for linux

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Sat Apr 29 12:22:14 EDT 2000

>         There exist two configuration options for the OpenGL library,
>--with-opengl and --with-mesa.  Now, most linux users use Mesa, and
>vtk does make use of mesa specific features like the OSMesa*
>functions.  My question is, since Mesa is "like" OpenGL, what will
>happen if I were to compile vtk with --with-opengl (after adding the
>necessary path and libs to the configure script) while using the Mesa
>libs?  Or are there things that OGL does that Mesa just cant do (which
>vtk makes use of)?
>
>         The reason I ask this is because, on one machine which has a
>Riva TNT2, the GL libs (for XFree86 3.3.5) are provided by nVidia and
>these do not have some of the Mesa functions, specifically the OSMesa
>stuff.  If standard opengl is merely a subset of Mesa then shouldnt it
>be easier to just compile for opengl and link it to Mesa?  This way I
>wouldnt have to build both packages (one with opengl the other with
>mesa).

The safe thing to do is use --with-opengl (no mesa) and link it against
-lGL as a shared library.  Our use of opengl is a subset of our use of
mesagl. So compiling opengl and using a mesa shared library should work
fine. If you try to use both on Linux you will run into problems because
many accelerated OpenGL libraries use mesa internal functions which would
conflict with the normal mesa library (even with mesa's name mangling
turned on)

- Ken

"info vtkusers" to the same address.