vtkObject superclass for _all_ VTK-classes?

John Biddiscombe j.biddiscombe at rl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 04:18:53 EDT 2000

>as far as I can tell, it is the base class for ALL VTK classes, at least
>for all classes used in a vis. pipeline.

The only classes I've noticed recently that aren't derived from vtkObject
are things like vtkTimeStamp and other small helper classes, and as you
correctly state, they're not part of the "main" pipeline.

>is this true? if so, what guarantee (if any) do I have that this will
>continue to be true in the future?

There's no explicit guarantee, but there is an implicit guarantee!
since all the modifiedtime/RTTI/Debug/delete handlers are in vtkObject,
there is almost zero chance (or need?) of the architecture being changed
from vtkObject upwards.

John B

"info vtkusers" to the same address.