arclength-parametrization of streamlines

alext at win.tue.nl alext at win.tue.nl
Tue Apr 25 05:09:45 EDT 2000

  Hi Thomas,

other parameters than travelled distance:

  I had a similar problem, i.e. I wanted to trace streamlines whose length
was controlled by other parameters than the maximum distance/travelled time
provided by vtkStreamLine. Two solutions emerged:

  1) (easy but not fully general): compute a derived vector field from your
     original one, trace streamlines in this field, and use the maximum
     travelled time stopping criterion. In your case, you could normalize
     your original vectorfield such that all vectors have the same length.
     Then you can use the maximum travelled time as travelled distance,
     since the velocity of the traced 'particles' is the same everywhere.
     This method is however limited to the derivation of a new vector field
     from the original one and using the maximul travelled time as stopping
     criterion.

   2) (more difficult but more general): subclass the baseclass of
      vtkStreamLine, that is vtkStreamer, and override the
      Execute() method. This method is the core of the streamline
      tracing process. If you override it, you can set into the new version
      of the method any stopping criterion you want, based on any data.
      I used this method, for example, to create a new version of
      vtkStreamLine which traces streamlines based on a user-given
      boolean expression involving AND/OR/comparison operators on
      the vtkScalars and vtkVectors data of the input-data. This means
      I can trace streamlines based on more complex criteria than just
      the comparison of the maximum travelled time. However, for this you
      have to know a bit of VTK's subclassing policy to derive a new class
      form vtkStreamer....

  Hope this helps,

  Alex

  Alexandru C. Telea   	      | Technische Universiteit Eindhoven

  E-mail   : alext at win.tue.nl | Dept. of Mathematics and
  			      | Computing Science
  Office   :  HG 8.30         | Postbus 513
  Tel.     : +31 40 247 4328  | 5600 MB Eindhoven
  Secretary: +31 40 247 4416  | The Netherlands
  Fax	   : +31 40 244 2489  |
  URL      : http://www.win.tue.nl/math/an/alext