Still No Answer

Tom G. Smith smitty at kcc.com
Mon Apr 24 14:06:52 EDT 2000

I believe tcl8.3 is incompatible with vtk3.1.  I queried Kitware
some time ago.  There response was, "The recommended version of
tcl/tk for VTK 3.1 is 8.2.3 (we don't know if it works with 8.3 -
we haven't tried it yet)."  Going back to Tcl 8.2.3 solved my
vtk 3.1 installation woes.

> Hello all,
>
> This is my third attempt at getting an answer (or even an unfriendly response)
> to my original compilation question.
> Here are my two previous messages.  If there is any more information I can
> provide that will help get this question answered, please let me know.
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff
>
> >To All,
>
> >I am trying to compile vtk3.1 with tcl8.3.  I keep getting this error:
>
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 54: Error: Only one of a set of overloaded functions can
>  be extern "C".
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 55: Error: Trying to take the address of the overloaded
> >function matherr.
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 195: Warning: String literal converted to char* in forma
> l argument varName in call to Tcl_SetVar(Tcl_Interp*, char*, char*, int).
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 195: Warning: String literal converted to char* in forma
> >l argument newValue in call to Tcl_SetVar(Tcl_Interp*, char*, char*, int).
> >2 Error(s) and 2 Warning(s) detected.
> >*** Error code 2
> >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tkAppInit.o'
> >Current working directory /data5/pm/dix/vtk31/tcl
> >*** Error code 1
> >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build_tcl'
>

> >I also get the 'String literal converted to char*' warning throughout
> compilation.
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> >Geoff

> >Here is something I posted on Wednesday:
>
> >To All,
>
> >>I am trying to compile vtk3.1 with tcl8.3.  I keep getting this error:
>
> >>"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 54: Error: Only one of a set of overloaded functions ca
>  be extern "C".
> >>"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 55: Error: Trying to take the address of the overloaded
>
> function matherr.
> >>"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 195: Warning: String literal converted to char* in form
> l argument varName in call to Tcl_SetVar(Tcl_Interp*, char*, char*, int).
> >>"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 195: Warning: String literal converted to char* in form
> l argument newValue in call to Tcl_SetVar(Tcl_Interp*, char*, char*, int).
> >>2 Error(s) and 2 Warning(s) detected.
> >>*** Error code 2
> >>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tkAppInit.o'
> >>Current working directory /data5/pm/dix/vtk31/tcl
> >>*** Error code 1
> >>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build_tcl'
>

> >>I also get the 'String literal converted to char*' warning throughout
> compilation.
> >>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> >>Geoff
> >I will add that my C++ compiler is a Sparc compiler v5.0.  I would really
> appreciate a reply.
>
> >Thanks
>
> >Geoff

> "info vtkusers" to the same address.

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under law.  If you have received this message in error, please inform us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy.   Thank you.

"info vtkusers" to the same address.