Multi-Block PLOT3D

Simon J. Rees sjrees at okstate.edu
Thu Apr 20 10:18:17 EDT 2000

I have been visualizing multi-block structured data using vtk. (This type of
data is very common in computational fluid dynamics and related
applications). I am not tied to any particular file format (such as Plot3D)
so the easiest way I have found to do this is to re-write my data to a
unstructured format vtk file. This means using vtkUnstructured.... readers
etc. and I realize I am loosing some efficiency. It also means that points
along inter-block boundaries are being duplicated in the data. In practice
however, this does not seem to be a problem. (I guess I could have multiple
data files with a single block in each but this would mean multple pipeline
branches - not very easy to manage as the number of blocks is variable).

I would therefore welcome something like vtkCompositeStructuredGrid. I don't
have the resources to offer to work on this unfortunately. My plea would be
for a suitable adaption of the generic vtk file format to alow specification
of multiple structured block data in a single file. Don't really know how
difficult that would be? I expect it could be done in a backwards compatible
way.

My $0.02

Simon Rees