vtk + java problem

Sean Spicer spicer at bme.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 18 19:10:53 EDT 2000

All,

I'm experiencing some odd behavior using vtk with java2 (1.2.2) on sgi's.

Here's the deal:

I add a vtkPanel to a JFrame window, and try and render a cone inside
it.  The following code illustrates this:

import vtk.*;
import java.awt.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.io.InputStream;

public class javatest
{

  vtkPanel panel;
  Container container;
  int x, y;

  JFrame window;
  Container content;

  private static javatest theapp;

  public static void main(String[] args)
  {

    theapp = new javatest();
    theapp.init();
  }

  public void init()
  {

    Font myFont = new Font("serif", Font.BOLD, 12);

    window = new JFrame();
    window.setTitle("Javatest");
    window.setBounds(50, 100, 400, 150);
    window.setDefaultCloseOperation(WindowConstants.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);
    window.setFont(myFont);

    content = window.getContentPane();

    panel = new vtkPanel();

    vtkConeSource cone = new vtkConeSource();
    cone.SetResolution(8);

    vtkPolyDataMapper coneMapper = new vtkPolyDataMapper();
    coneMapper.SetInput(cone.GetOutput());

    vtkActor coneActor = new vtkActor();
    coneActor.SetMapper(coneMapper);

    panel.getRenderer().AddActor(coneActor);

    // *** THIS CALL DOESN'T WORK *** //
    //System.out.println(panel.getWindowInfo());
    content.add(panel);
    window.setVisible(true);

    System.out.println("This is a vtk test");

  }

}

Here's what happens (all machines are are IRIX 6.5)

SGI Octane MXI :  Everything works great, just what you'd expect.

SGI O2 : No vtkPanel is drawn.  can discern no visible rendering context.

SGI ONYX RE2 : The rendering context is allocated and displayed, but is
               not double-buffered, nor is a depth bit available.

The call vtkPanel.getWindowInfo fails on all platforms.

also, everything works great if I create a vtkRenderWindowInteractor, and
make the following call:

iren.SetRenderWindow(panel.getRenderWindow());

A separate render window is created (apart from the JFrame) and the
rendering is all handled in there!  (not the JFrame, which remains blank).

What's happening?  Is there a work around?

sean

Sean Spicer                       Stanford University Medical Center
Biomechanical Engineering         Division of Vascular Surgery, Suite H3642
Cardiovascular Biomechanics Lab   Stanford CA, 94305
                                  Telephone...650.723.1695
                                  Fax.........650.723.8762

             http://solvedeath.stanford.edu/~spicer

"info vtkusers" to the same address.