Picky mathematical points with vtkCamera

John Biddiscombe j.biddiscombe at rl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 18 06:11:02 EDT 2000

>P.S. If anyone really is interested in doing oblique projections (any
>     architects, cabinetmakers, or machinists among us?), perhaps it
>     would be an idea to allow people to create their own 4x4 matrices
>     for vtkCamera to use.  Unfortunately this would not be an easy
>     thing to change.

I was asked if I could modify my camera projection to give a view of
buildings which preserved elevation angle to a geostationary satellite.
When viewed from a mast, building recede and are masked by closer objects,
when viewed from space, the elevation angle is virtually constant over
several Km, I pondered this for a while and said it wasn't a very good use
of my time, but if there's an easy way....I imagine bending the terrain in
the distance upwards a little to preserve the angle to a vertical normal on
the building rooftop. A bit fishbowly but the other way round....

Ho hum...

John B

"info vtkusers" to the same address.