ray casting with surface geometry

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Mon Apr 17 23:16:01 EDT 2000

Hello Dimitris,

If you ray cast a volume with opaque surface geometry in the scene, the
geometry is taken into consideration. At the end of geometric rendering,
the color/depth buffer is captured and used to bound the end points of the
rays that are cast. There is no need to use a ray bounder - this is only
necessary if you want to clip the rays against some "invisible" geometry
(with some limitations in shape) - for example to have a "sphere of interest".

Some things to watch out for: you cannot intermix translucent geometry with
volumes, you cannot have two volumes that overlap, you have to turn
back-to-front sorting on in the culler if you want more than one texture
mapped volume.

Lisa