Another Python/Vtk question

Todd Hesla hesla at aem.umn.edu
Tue Sep 14 17:36:08 EDT 1999

I am a novice Vtk user, and am also trying to get Vtk (2.3) working with Python.
I have a Red Hat 5.1 system, with Python 1.5.1, and Tcl/Tk 8.0.2.  I followed
the procedure in the Vtk Linux Howto, and have successfully run many of the Tcl
examples.  However, when I try to run a Python example from the command line,
Python complains about an undefined symbol:

$ Cone.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./Cone.py", line 4, in ?
    from libVTKGraphicsPython import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libVTKGraphicsPython.so: undefined symbol: XtStrings

For the record, I configured with:

./configure --with-mesa --with-tcl --with-python --with-shared --with-contrib --with-patented

and put:

PYTHON_INCLUDES=-I/usr/include/python1.5

(which is where the Python includes are on my system) in my user.make file.  Do
I need to take additional steps when building VTK, or am I forgetting something
else?

Thanks.

Todd Hesla
Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota