Slider bar control on a cut plane

Bryan VanDeVen bryanv at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 1 16:57:57 EDT 1999

> Hello!
>
> I would like to have a slider bar control on a cut plane of a 3d structured
> grid.  I have the structured grid and I know how to do a cut plane (I use a
> vtkCutter and a vtkPlane setting the normal and the origin), but how can I set
> it up so its interactive.
>
> I want something like a slider bar, and if the slider bar changes, the cut plane
> moves up and down the normal.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?

If you want examples of how to add UI to a vtk app on a unix system, look
at the XMace examples in the graphics/examplesCxx subdirectory.  If you
don't like Xt/Motif, I think some people have worked on a render widget
for QT.  Check the VTK main page and Sebastian Barre's page.  (linked from
the Kitware site, sorry I don't have the URL handy...)

All of this refers to writing the app in C/C++.  I think it would be
relatively straightforward to do in tcl with vtkRenderWidget, but I am no
tcl-ist so I can't really say.  There was also some mention of a render
widget usable from python a while back, but I don't know what state that
is in; I have moved all my work to C++ so I have not kept up.

If you meant on a windows system, well, someone else will have to help
you...

Regards,

--
Bryan Van de Ven