Immediate mode rendering bug

John Biddiscombe j.biddiscombe at rl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 06:52:40 EDT 1999

Dear vtk people,

There is a bug in the rendering pipepline which causes opengl display lists
not to be freed correctly.

Taking a larger dataset and setting ImmediateModeRenderingOn for the
polydatamapper causes a 6MB allocation (in my case) of memory used by the
display list.

Setting ImmediateModeRenderingOff does not free the memory, but destroying
the actor/mapper and recreating them with ImmediateModeRenderingOff already
set gives exactly the same display results but without the memory
consumption. I therefore feel confident in saying that the mapper is not
freeing the display list memory when retained mode/immediate mode swaps occur.

Could conceivably be an OpenGL/Driver bug, I'm not sure who's responsible
for the memory.

ta taa

John B