Bug ? : Update() for multiple input filters

John Biddiscombe j.biddiscombe at rl.ac.uk
Sun Oct 17 20:28:53 EDT 1999

In a constructor it seems wise to put

this->vtkProcessObject::SetNumberOfInputs(2); (for example)
this->vtkProcessObject::SetInput(0,NULL);
this->vtkProcessObject::SetInput(1,NULL);
as the input array is not cleared by default (it seems).

but vtkPointSetToPointSetFilter (for example) completely ignores the values
of Inputs[n] and calls update even when the inputs are NULL. or at least
when the ones above zero index are NULL. Are we supposed to check them
ourselves and override the ComputeInputUpdateExtents(...) member to return
something when all the inputs are not set? I don't think so. I presume this
ComputeInputUpdateExtents(...) is for streaming and I'm just putting
return 1;

is this wrong?

thanks

John B

Many multiple input filters I've written seem to cause access violations if
only the first input is set and update is called. I suspect I don't know
what I'm doing.