Still looking for output.

Robert Belleman robbel at wins.uva.nl
Tue Oct 12 11:22:28 EDT 1999

Tom,

[...]
> copied graphics/examplesCxx/UGrid.cxx from the vtk 2.4 distribution
> to my own directory, and added these statements at the end, just
> before the final closing brace:
> 	cout << "Smitty was here\n";
> 	cout << "sizeof(vtkUnstructuredGrid) = "
> 		<< sizeof(vtkUnstructuredGrid) << "\n";
> I can successfully compile my modified UGrid.cxx, and the window titled
> "Visualization Toolkit - OpenGL" pops open with the image when I run
> it, but neither "Smitty was here" nor "sizeof(vtkUnstructuredGrid)=nnn"
> shows up anywhere.  Any ideas where it goes?

It goes nowhere because it never gets called...

If I remember correctly, the C++ code never returns from the function
call to "iren->Start();" (so in fact the clean up code is never called
either).

The first thing you would want to do is don't call that method, but then
you loose Vtk's event processing (i.e. rotation, panning, scaling, etc.).

Some time ago, Audrius Stundzia + Lisa suggested substituting this line
by your own event dispatching loop which would allow you to call code
while maintaining Vtk's standard event processing.
I'll append that at the end of this email. It may help you.

I have one question about the code mentioned below though: does anybody
know how you get the application context from Vtk?

Bye,
-- Rob

[] Robert Belleman         X  Section Computational Science            []
[] robbel at wins.uva.nl     |X| University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands []
[] tel: (+31) 20 525 7539  X  http://www.wins.uva.nl/~robbel/          []

Hi Lisa,

I celebrated the 4th by solving my problem. I can now have 2 or more
visualization windows displaying stuff concurrently and interactively
without
blocking control. I took your suggestion, then used the X Windows code in
the User Guide and wrote a modified XtAppMainLoop() in my visualization loop
that checks whether or not there are any X events pending before calling the
blocking XtAppNextEvent:

   pending = XtAppPending( context);

   if (pending > 0)
   {
      XtAppNextEvent(  context
                    , &event );

      XtDispatchEvent( &event);
   }

Thanks again for all your help.
vtk is great software backed by a great team :)

Regards,

Audrius Stundzia

IBMG