Proposal for removing user.make

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Oct 11 11:42:24 EDT 1999

<x-flowed>
Hi all,

I would like to propose a way of removing the need for user.make.
I propose adding path options to configure.

For example:
./configure --with-tcl-include=/usr/tcl/include --with-tcl-lib=/usr/tcl/lib

This would create make variables and put them into system.make.
It could also verify that the paths are correct.

example generated system.make:

TCL_INCLUDE = /usr/tcl/include
TCL_LIB = /usr/tcl/lib

The same thing would be done for python, Java, mesa, and any other
third party libraries that VTK uses.

I would suggest cvs removing the current user.make.
Then create a file called user.make.example.  If people need to
override or add new make variables it could still be done in user.make by
copying and
user.make.example to user.make, then editing user.make.

Benefits:
   1. no one could accidentally cvs commit user.make
   2. configure can verify that include files and libraries exist at
configure time, and
     not after the make process has started.
   3. /home/ausable/software will no longer be in user.make

Drawbacks:
  1. Everyone on a UNIX platform will get a conflict in user.make
      They would also have to re-run configure to specify paths to tcl,
Java, etc.

William A. Hoffman
Kitware Visualization Solutions / vtk Commercial Support
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway
Clifton Park, NY 12065
bill.hoffman at kitware.com
1-518-371-3971 (Phone & Fax)