Calculating surface proximity

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Mon Oct 11 11:20:27 EDT 1999

You can put one of the surfaces into a vtkCellLocator, then query the locator for the "closest point"
by calling FindClosestPoint() with a vertex from the other surface.  If you are only looking for
points within a certain distance, you can use the FindClosestPointWithinRadius() method of
vtkCellLocator. These methods have been optimized about as much as we can using the current geometric
data structure.  (We actually spend most of our time searching empty space).

These methods are not wrapped by TCL, so you'll need to access them from C++. I believe someone
submitted a class to the mailing list that essentially provides TCL access to these methods.

Jim