performance of clipping methods

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Tue Oct 5 21:12:12 EDT 1999

Hi John,

vtkClipPolyData does all its work in software written by the VTK folks,
while vtkPolyDataMapper->AddClippingPlane uses OpenGL to do the clipping.

On a graphics board which supports it, method 2 will do the clipping in
hardware.  Depending on the implementation, though, the clipping will be
done every time the scene is rendered.

Conversely, using method one, the clipping is usually only done once,
and then the clipped geometry is rendered over and over again without
being re-clipped.

So even though vtkPolyDataMapper->AddClipping plane actually does the
clipping many times faster than vtkClipPolyData in general, for static
geometry (i.e. the clipping plane doesn't move around) vtkClipPolyData
might give better performance.

 - David

--David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group