why so complex for just displaying a slice

Matthew Hall mahall at math.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 5 18:41:51 EDT 1999

Dr. Jasjit Suri wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I was curious if this is the only way to display a slice in z direction
> (or any direction as a matter of fact).
>
> I saw one of the examples to do that:
>
> Its uses these filters:
>
>       part 1:
> vtkPlaneSource
> vtkTransform
> vtkTransformPolyDataFilter
> vtkProbeFilter
> vtkCastToConcrete
> vtkTriangleFilter
> vtkStripper
>
>      part 2:
> vtkLookupTable
> vtkPolyDataMapper
> vtkActor
> AddActor
>
> Can there be not a better way of taking a slice
> out of the 3d data set and display it ?
>
> Thanks very much...
>
> ..jas..

I wrote a small StructuredPointsToPolyData filter for orthogonal
slices, in case you are using that kind of data. Its pretty fast, and
easy to use.

vtkOrthoFilter->
	SetAxis(int) 0,1,2 for X,Y,Z (plane normals)
	SetX/Y/Z to set the X,Y, or Z coordinates.
Also, a very badly named SetAxis(float) to set the coordinates of the
plane along the current axis.

It's been used fairly extensively, and seems stable.

You can download it from "http://zeus.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~mahall/".

That page also includes some packages for using VTK with the CAVE
immersive reality system, and using VTK with multi-grid datasets.

-matt