Build problems

Bryan VanDeVen bryanv at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 5 13:38:51 EDT 1999

Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Bryan VanDeVen wrote:
>
> > Well it has begun to build fine now, though I have not changed much.  In
> > particular I am still using the Sun Assembler.  I did have to add
> > -fpermissive to get gcc-2.95.1 not to choke on the implicit int type
> > decls. in some of the X system headers.  (These headers are fixed on my
> > linux box, oh well..)
>
> I suggest you use `-isystem /usr/openwin/include' (or wherever the X11
> headers are) instead of -fpermissive.

no that does not work, Xlib.h for instance contains declertions similar

extern XWindowEvent(
#if NeedFunctionPrototypes
    Display*            /* display */,
    Window              /* w */,
    long                /* event_mask */,
    XEvent*             /* event_return */
#endif
);

such "implicit int" type declertions are forbidden by the ANSI C++
standard, and gcc-2.95.1 will reject it as such without -fpermissive.
Perhaps Sun has patched versions of these headers that all have proper
declerations but I have not had a chance to look.

--
Bryan Van de Ven
Applied Research Labs