Build problems

Mike Moran Mike.Moran at ee.ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 4 11:28:28 EDT 1999

Bryan VanDeVen wrote:

> When building vtk2.4 I see the following error:
>
> c++  -g -O2 -DVTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN  -DVTK_USE_PTHREADS
> -D_HP_NO_FAST_MACROS -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DHAVE_UNISTD_H -I.   -I.
> -I./../graphics -DVTK_USE_GRAPHICS -I./../imaging -DVTK_USE_IMAGING
> -I./../patented -DVTK_USE_PATENTED -I./../contrib -DVTK_USE_CONTRIB
> -I./../common -I/opt/include -I/opt/include  -I/opt/jdk1.2/include
> -I/opt/jdk1.2/include/solaris -I/opt/include/python1.5 -c
> vtkHyperStreamline.cxx -o vtkHyperStreamline.o
> /usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccUK6BX0.s", line 2623: error: constant value
> must be between -4096 and 4095
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `vtkHyperStreamline.o'
>
> do I need to use gas instead of the Sun assembler?

I think you may. I'm currently also having problems with this file.
Right now I'm testing out g++ 2.95.1 with the gas assembler. I was
having problems elsewhere, in my own code, due to the Sun assembler not
being able to handle long symbol names. However, this shows itself as
the following type of error:

/usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccMsw135.s", line 11041:
error: can't compute
value of an expression involving an external symbol

I don't know whether the error we are getting on vtkHyperStreamline is
also due to the Sun assembler, though it does seem a likely culprit.
I'll most likely be able to get back to you on this within the next few
days ....

ps. I don't know whether it helps but, if you use -g to compile, this
seems to avoid the problem (though something evil may be happening but
just not getting caught).

--
Mike Moran, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, The University of Edinburgh
King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh EH9 3JL