Color lookup tables and ambient lighting

Ron Inbar rinbar at netvision.net.il
Sat Oct 2 11:24:19 EDT 1999

John,

The Ambient property isn't a binary toggle.  It's a continuous variable
which takes any value between 0 and 1.  Try to set it to 0.2, for example.

The overall color of a pixel is a linear combination of its ambient, diffuse
and specular colors.  The Ambient property is simply the coefficient of the
ambient component in this combination.  If you set it to 1 (the maximum), it
may cause the ambient component to make the R, G, and B of the overall color
greater than 1.  In this case they are clamped to 1 and you are left with
uniform white.

Ron