Linux build times, and VTK optimized builds

Bryan VanDeVen bryanv at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 30 09:04:36 EST 1999

 Brent Burton wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Bryan VanDeVen wrote:
> > > My installation is on PII 400 with SCSI-2 and a S3 video card. It took over
> > > 12 hours to compile. Since some reported good result with AMD K3, I  went
> > > out and get a AMD chip to see if it cut down the compilation time. I must
> > > not done the switches right, it still took over 11 hours.
> >
> > Well, VTK takes a good three or four hours to build on my dual PII450 with
> > 256MB.  So 11 to 12 hours on the above setup does not seem unreasonable.
> > If you have plenty of ram you might consider using the "-j" option to
> > initiate a parallel make.  Obviously with one processor you won't truly
> > get a parallel build but some of the disk IO can then be done
> > asynchronously so you might see a small performance bump from that.
>
> Whoa, 3 to 4 hours seems unreasonable on such a machine.
>
> I didn't remember VTK taking so long to build and just last week I had to
> build VTK twice in one day.  Just now I cleaned out all object files and
> *.so libraries and rebuilt.  The entire VTK 2.4 built in 30 minutes.
> libVTKCommon.so was built in 2 minutes, and libVTKCommonTcl.so was built
> in two more minutes.  Make compiles a new file almost every second or two.

Oh, I assumed he meant building the entire distro with all three sets of
bindings.  (I  always build all the bindings)  I have not timed building
just the libs, but ~30-45 minutes seems to fit with my recollection.
Without a doubt, parsing the headers to make the bindings is the most
time consuming portion of a full build.

--
Bryan Van de Ven
Applied Research Labs