Linux build times, and VTK optimized builds

ytlee ytlee at insync.net
Mon Nov 29 13:00:38 EST 1999

Brent wrote
> I didn't remember VTK taking so long to build and just last week I had to
> build VTK twice in one day.  Just now I cleaned out all object files and
> *.so libraries and rebuilt.  The entire VTK 2.4 built in 30 minutes.
> libVTKCommon.so was built in 2 minutes, and libVTKCommonTcl.so was built
> in two more minutes.  Make compiles a new file almost every second or two.
>
> This is on a 400MHz P-III (they don't make 400, this is an old
> prototype chip from Intel I got before their release) with 128MB RAM
> and IDE disk running Redhat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.34).  I run a serial make
> to build common, graphics, imaging and patented.  Obviously, it's
> neither memory- nor disk-bound.
>
> On a related note, when I specify optimization flags (-O or -O2)
> in the user.make file, VTK crashes in vtkMarchingCubes::Execute().
> When optimizations are not enabled, it does not crash.  I haven't
> been able to pin down the exact cause, but I think it is with
> the templates used here.  This is on Redhat 5.1, GCC 2.7.2.3.
> Has anybody else run into this?

Brent:

Are you started with a fresh copy of Redhat, then add mesa, tcl/tk and vtk?
I have done that more than a dozen times with different machines and
configurations. The time to compile and to generate those *.so for common,
graphics and imaging (no patented or contrib) ranged from over 36 hours (I
killed that before completion) for 486 50mh to  11 hours for AMD k6.

Would you please go thru your steps and list the switches please.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lee