Resizing vtkImageWindow vs. Resizing vtkRenderWindow

Brian Alexander Todd bat5 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Nov 22 09:12:00 EST 1999

Thanks David.

Quick recap.  I had asked how to implement some default
resizing behavior for images in vtk.  David's responses
are: (I have a couple followup questions afterwards)

At 08:20 PM 11/19/99 -0500, David Gobbi wrote:
>Hi Brian,
>
>There are two ways of doing what you are looking for.
>1) use a vtkRenderWindow with parallel projection, and display
>   your images on texture maps
>2) use a vtkImageWindow, but use either vtkImageResample or
>   vtkImageReslice to scale the image data -- see the
>   example contrib/examplesPython/SliceViewerWidget.py
>   in recent nightly releases to get an idea of the math involved.
>
> - David
>
>--
>  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
>  Advanced Imaging Research Group
>  Robarts Research Institute, University of Western Ontario

I think I am going to go with the first option,
since I would prefer to work at the window level.  Will
I take a huge hit on efficiency since I'm moving away
from the image window, to the 3D pipeline?  I'm dealing
with images typically of 512x512 pixels and only one
z-slice but I would like everything to run reasonably
smoothly on the average PC.  Is TPlane.tcl a good example
of parallel projection, and displaying images on texture
maps or should I look somewhere else?

Thanks,
Brian Todd

My original message