Diamond problems?

John Biddiscombe j.biddiscombe at rl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 09:32:54 EST 1999

>Diamond s540 Stealth III with the drivers that came

>I build the mace.cxx example in VC with no problems.
>However, when I run the example, the window gives
>strange behavior (all black or with the windows behind
>it drawn on the canvas where the mace should be or hang).

Doesn't sound good.

>I remember seeing some thing about monkeys writing the
>drivers for my card on this mail list, so I checked that

I'm afraid it was me that wrote that.

>out.  Rebooted into VGA mode and ran the sample
>again.  This time I see the mace and I can interact
>with it.  Should I send some bananas to Diamond?  Has
>anyone got this card working with vtk?

Funnily enough. The card that I used temporarily before getting the Fire GL
1 was a Diamond Viper card think a 550). I had terrible trouble with
lighting - normal calculations - causing edges and facets to flicker
awfully. I ran the same software on a number of other machines and had no
problems. I sent a report to Diamond Tech support and to their credit they
repsonded rapidly asking for more details. When I told them what I was
displaying and gave a descriptions, they replied that "this card is not
intended for serious professional use, its for games etc etc".

Now I was a bit upset by this but I was only using the card temporarily
whilst I waited for the Fire GL 1 to arrive. It made me worried.

Anyway. The description you give "(all black or with the windows behind it
drawn on the canvas where the mace should be or hang)" sounds like the
results of a context creation fail when creating the renderwindow. Nothing
like the problems I had. So I'll reserve judgement, but it's odd that it
wors fine in VGA mode. Very suspicious indeed.

Yes. Send some Bananas to them and put a greeting note on one saying its
from me. Even if it turns out not to be the card at fault, they deserve it
for their "not for professional use" comment.

ta taaa

John B